The South African Institute of Architects (SAIA) is proud to host the AZA2015 festival. This year’s programme is broader, more inclusive and structured to target the largest possible audience of architects, as well as members of the design fraternity, at all levels of their career development.
This event is being run together with the Gauteng Institute for Architecture (Gifa) and the University of Johannesburg (UJ). The Johannesburg AZA2015 Festival is scheduled to take place between 24-26 September 2015 at The Sheds, 1 Fox Street, Newtown.
This year’s event follows the series of remarkably successful AZA Festivals, the first of which was held in September 2010 in Newtown Johannesburg. This was followed with equally acclaimed Festivals in 2012 and 2013 in Cape Town in partnership with the City of Cape Town and The World Design Capital CT 2014.
Architecture ZA is Africa’s first and largest premier urban culture festival and brings together leading-edge thinkers and multi-disciplinary practitioners in the built environment from around the globe. Presentations, workshops, exhibitions, film festivals, gala and other events have attracted over a thousand decision makers during past festivals. Widespread media interest ensured constant media exposure averaging R3,2 to R4,5m per event.
AZA2015 is of seminal importance, as it enables architects and designers to meet, debate and answer the following definitive questions, amongst others:
-How have cities been shaped and how will they continue to shape our modern world?
– What are the key issues challenging future cities, and in particular South African Cities and how can these challenges be overcome using innovative, elegant solutions? The September AZA2015 provides architects and related professionals with the valuable opportunity of being able to engage with international and local speakers prepared to share their expertise and debate critical issues around architecture and the city.
This festival will also be open to the public to enjoy. The Gifa exhibition of Regional Institutes’ Awards for Architecture exhibitions are geared to create interest amongst the public in search of South Africa’s finest architecture. During the evening design focused film festivals will be screened and city tours conducted.
Running concurrently alongside AZA2015 will be a Student Architecture Festival with exhibitions of the Des Baker Student Architecture Design Competition, the PPC Imaginarium Design Awards Exhibition and the Student Film Festival, all open to delegates and members of the public.
The City of Johannesburg is an ideal destination during this time for delegates and visitors alike. Apart from being able to host an intriguing AZA2015, also offers a wealth of other related activities. These include:
- The exhibitions of the world acclaimed Johannesburg Art Fair
- Art exhibition openings
- The Joburg Festival of Beer
- A Taste of Jo’burg (for food lovers)
- Arts Alive
- The Dance Umbrella Festival (for cultural fundi’s)
- Marathons for cyclists and runners
- The Johannesburg Philharmonic orchestra’s third season of performances
- The Soweto Arts and Craft Fair
- Fourteen neighbourhood markets with various tempting offerings.
The depth of knowledge to be shared, variety, vibrance and energy will make AZA2015 an event to enjoy and remember. Don’t miss out, diarise the dates today.